The Helping Christian Boys Thrive Summit
Saturday, February 29, 2020
3100 W. River Parkway, Minneapolis
The Helping Christian Boys Thrive Summit brings together the education, parenting, government, faith, and foster care communities to focus on the unique issues facing boys in the 21st Century. Featuring New York Times Selling Author, Dr. Michael Gurian (The Wonder of Boys; The Purpose of Boys; The Mind of Boys; Boys and Girls Learn Differently; Saving our Sons), and The Wonder of Parenting Podcast co-host and Lutheran Pastor Tim Wright, the Summit uses brain science research and best practices, offering implement-now strategies for changing the story line of our boys.
Topics include: What is He Thinking? Inside the Minds of Boys; Shaping the Spirit of Boys; and Shaping the Faith of Boys.
Contact hours are offered at the end of the Summit.
For more information or to set up interviews with Dr. Michael Gurian or Tim Wright, please contact [email protected]
The Storyline of Boys in the 21st Century:
• Boys have fallen behind girls in every area of education from Preschool through Graduate school
• 85% of stimulant medications (like Ritalin) prescribed in the world are prescribed to US boys
• America has the highest rates of male incarceration per capita of any country in the world. Among males 17 or younger, the boy-to-girl ratio in correctional institutions is 9:1. Among 18-21 year olds, the ratio grows to 14:1
• Boys are twice as likely as girls to be victims of violence in America, but in certain age groups the ratio is 6:1.
• Boys receive two-thirds of the Ds and Fs in our schools but less than 40 percent of the As
• Boys are twice as likely as girls to be labeled as “emotionally disturbed” and twice as likely as girls to be diagnosed with a behavioral or leaning disorder
• Boys are four times as likely as girls to be suspended or expelled from early childhood and K-12 learning environments
• Over the last 20 years the reading skills of 17 year old boys have steadily declined
• 70-90% of all boys will leave the Christian Church in their teens or early 20s, and most won’t come back
3100 W. River Parkway
Minneapolis, MN 55406 Google Map